Monday, April 1, 2013

Word Count – End of First Quarter

No, I haven’t forgotten this blog, much as it seems it has. But writing and other, real-life events have been distracting me....

After an excellent January, February and March turned out of be sub-par months, writing-wise. Several real-life events, while minor, did keep me away from the keyboard more often then it should have. Below is the listing for the first three months of the year and the wordcount completion percentage.

January:
   Words written: 41,734
   Word target:    39,835
   Word Percent 104.8%

February:
   Words written: 30,581
   Word target:    35,980
   Word Percent   85.0%

March:
   Words written: 31,310
   Word target:    39,835
   Word Percent   78.6%

Totals for First Quarter:
   Words written: 103,625
   Word target:    115.650
   Word Percent   89.6%

A good start (A- or B+), but there is room for improvement. Out of the first ninety days, I reach or exceeded my daily count 44 times, and failed to do so 46 times. That’s going to have to improve.

So, what did I write with all those words?

About two-thirds went to BattleCorps or Battletech products (Details which I go into on my Battletech blog, The Battletech State), while the other third was in original writing. Most of the effort has been going into the first draft of Merlin’s Courtship, my urban fantasy novel (Actually, it’s the third one in the series, but the other two are only partially written) As of right now, Courtship is close to 106K, and getting close to seeing the end. I will need to go back and rework a lot of it, but right now, it’s getting the first draft done.

The second original is Mind Wipe, a cyber thriller inspired by the Japanese animes, Ghost in the Shell, Bubblegum Crisis, and several other series. Much different and a little slower, as it’s more world building then the Merlin series. Still, I’ve gotten as far as Chapter Three and an idea where the story is going to go next.

That’s all for now. Hopefully, I can be a little more commutative in this quarter.

Later!

Craig

No comments:

Post a Comment